The 2011 Trip

Friday, May 20th, 2011

We were up at 6:30AM after sleeping well the night through. We did not hear a thing. A motorhome and another 5th wheel trailer came in and camped with us.

We woke up to an overcast day. The cloud cover was alto cumulus with a bright spot under the sun. We left the “Wally Park” at 8:20AM and pulled into the Future Shop just behind Home Depot, Regina at 10:50AM. I phoned Terry, VE5TK, via On Star and he and Irene, VE5IVK, came over and took us out to dinner. We had a great visit and believe it or not both Joan and I remembered them. That is pretty darn good since we had not seen each other for forty-four years.

This is the truck and trailer in the Home Depot yard.
This is Irene, VE5IVK, and Terry, VE5TK, sitting in the trailer.

Spud, VE1BC, Terry, VE5TK, and Irene, VE5IVK.

We left the truck and trailer in the parking lot behind Home Depot. Terry took us back to the trailer and he and Irene came in for a visit. We got on the road right after they left at 1:50PM. We stopped at White City Esso at Emerald Park, Saskatchewan, and topped up the diesel tank at 2:12PM.

We took on board 70.900 litres of diesel at $1.219 per litre for a total of $86.43.

After topping up the diesel tank we went right out on route One East, the Trans Canada Highway, and pulled into the Indian Head KOA campground at 3PM. We hit fairly heavy rain as we approached Indian Head and I was rather soaked by the time we were hooked up in site 5.

The mileage for the day from Swift Current to Indian Head was 313 kilometres and that is just about right or enough for one day.

Joan gathered things up and did laundry as soon as we were hooked up. It does not take long for the laundry to pile up.

We phoned Josie via On Star just before we hit the rain coming into Indian Head. A chat with Josie brightens up anyone’s day and it helps when you hit rain.

Gary from Indian Head was with me in Radio College. We stopped going by here in 1965 and found him in Regina but have heard nothing from him since. So far we have found no one here at Indian Head who knows where he is. One fellow at the service station down the road knew him but has no idea where he is today. Gary did no radio operating and went into some other line of work. I forget what he was doing in 1965. Knowing him, he has been enjoying himself. He was a bit of a character.

The folks next door in site six have a new Revere by Shasta. They could not get the hot water heater to work so I turned it on for them. The reset light came on and she came over for help. I loaned her my RV Maintenance Manual but the oldest boy brought it back in a few minutes. They had it figured out and working. I feel good about the hot water heater since it took me six years to get ours to work.

Our first trailer was a 1962 sixteen foot Shasta we bought new in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and sold it in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, for ten dollars less than we paid for it.

Joan spent the evening writing emails to friends and I read my history of the High River country. Another good day was history.

Click HERE to email Spud